The Museum complex is centered around the former Lenox College. The beautiful campus and buildings are listed on the National Register of Historic Places in America. The centerpiece of the campus is the Civil War Monument, dedicated 17 November, 1965. Construction of Old Main began in 1856 when the school was known as Bowen Collegiate Institute. The Victorian style east wing was added in 1875. Clarke Hall, the dormitory for girls, was built in 1890. Doolittle Hall, constructed in 1900, contained the Library and Literary Societies.
Finkbonner Hall (the gymnasium) was erected in 1916. Other buildings in the complex include the Hopkinton Depot, which was moved to the present site in 1969. The Reformed Presbyterian Church, with its remarkable Bavarian stained-glass windows, was dedicated in 1901 and donated to the Society in 1969. The one-room school was purchased and moved to its present location – next to the church – in 1971.
A Farm Machinery Hall, which houses displays of horse-drawn farm equipment, was added in 1973. A second Farm Machinery Hall was built in 1982.
The Delaware County Historical Society is endowed with the Community Foundation of Greater Dubuque. Donations to the museum are tax-deductible to the extent allowed by law.
All donations should be made out to the Delaware County Historical Society Endowment and can be sent directly to the Community Foundation Of Greater Dubuque at 700 Locust Street, Suite 195 Dubuque, Iowa 52001.